Tuesday, November 18, 2008

What The Hell?



What is hell, exactly? Is it a place of postmortem torment? Is there fire, brimstone, or sheets of ice, perhaps? I can’t claim this untrue, but let’s put these two awful ideas together and say that there are titanic amounts of flame and ice in the same misanthropic room. It only takes one scientist to whip out the laws of thermodynamics before the massive transfers of heat energy melt the glaciers and extinguish the painful lighting. Fire and ice are boring on their own, but even two of the most miserable forces together can’t bond to create something workable and interesting. Does this mean I don’t know a bunch of jerks who deserve the worst of what they’ve done thrown back in their face tenfold? Of course not. This just means the old ideas of nature’s extremities being the epitome of torture are stale and unoriginal. This is pain and affliction, version two millennia.


If I had things my way, hell would be a new kind of storybook where [revenge is the fire.] Some may call me vindictive, but I see no harm in goodhearted retaliation. “But Sarah, what about being the better person?” Yeah? What about it? You get what you give, and fraudulence towards me has never suggested any desire for my kindness. Why suffer scars without a fair fight? I’ll take care of what I can, and when I run out of ideas and motivation, hell will take over. And it will be known: not all storybooks have happy endings.


In my hell, there would be no specifics. Nearly every single person on Earth would qualify for a spot in the [burning pits of revenge.] Even if I had enough ideas and planning to extract justified amounts of payback, I would never be able to find enough time to do so. Most people fall into this same predicament regarding everyone that has ever wronged them. Lies, false accusations, unjustified destruction of reputations, wrongful manipulation, selective forgetfulness, unnecessary rudeness, betrayal, and the breaking of trust just begin the list of admissions to hell.


To make this hell permanent would make no sense. The point of any suffering done within is to complete the idea of getting what you give. Earthly actions will all have been separate one-time occurrences, so making punishment eternal would be unfair, considering whoever was the recipient of the transgressor’s violation has his own list of imperfect moments. To not have paid for a wrongdoing is to not understand what it felt like on the receiving end. Once this knowledge is gained on a personal level, the finite nature of this intangible hell will cast out the rectified soul. Into what? Until there’s something testable, we’ll have to go with the law of Man: ignorance is bliss.

3 comments:

J.D. said...

I like your version of hell. Though I'd rather it be permanent. What's wrong with some good eternal agony?

Ed_C said...

Did I ever tell you about an idea for hell me and a couple other people came up with?
Really it's just a place full of minor inconviences. "Thirsty? Sure we have water, but it has that metally aftertaste." "You want shoes? Fine, but the socks you wear underneath have holes in them, and those shoes are one size too small." "We have cable, but no premium channels." "Our internet has dial-up." Things like that, because from what I understand of any Christ religion's version of hell, everyone who has not dedicated their entire life to their faith is doomed to an eternity in hell. Average people do not deserve an eternity of damnnation.

Sarah said...

You want eternal agony, Jerome? Cause you'd be in there too, for a little bit at least. We all would. woooo

And Eddie, would you like to tell me what would be offered to me if I asked permission to kill myself? Cause that's what I'd feel like doing. hahah