Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I'm Speechless And Redundant (Cause I love you is not enough, I'm lost for words)

I've had Comedy Central on for the last few hours, just kind of playing in the background through my truckloads of homework and preparation for finals. They have this awesome habit of repeating the same 3 or 4-hour block of shows, same episodes and all. Granted, no one should be watching that much TV and it shouldn't really be a problem, but it's a little redundant the second time around.

So this episode of South Park is on for the second time, and it occurred to me that it's going by about 3 times faster than it did the first time. I know this is just a game being played in my mind, but it's still weird.

Which brings me to the actual point here: High school, or just school in general, seems to go by faster every year. We get up at unreasonably early hours, we go to school, we take our core classes with not a terrible amount of variation between years, and we go home. This is living the same life in 9-month increments on a yearly basis. This is watching the same plot unfold for a second or third time on a TV show. This is repetition.

It made me think about how I get so caught up in the moment during new experiences, but not so much after I've already "been there, done that." It reminded me about all of the facebook and myspace profiles that mention the desire to meet new people. Almost everything that makes for a truly exciting and involved experience are things that haven't been done before.

It's like our minds are begging to be refreshed. Our desires are dehydrated, and our routines are salt water. I think this is an indication to live a little when you can. It feels good. Don't deny it.

P.S.-I'll give a quarter to anyone who guesses that song in the title correctly. Except, probably not, because I'm broke.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey it's kyla :]

you're so right.
like, incredibly.
oh! and you say/word things really well.

Anonymous said...

sorry. i already sent you a message on myspace.
but i wanted to say it here too.
redundant. green day :]

Sarah said...

Kyla! I miss you! And thanks!

Also, if I knew how to teleport, I would totally give you a dollar. I remember those days we were such enthusiasts, hahah

The Baker said...

Redundant, by Green Day!

I win!

:) You just challenged a Green Day fan, babe.

And I don't think I could agree more! I had noticed that ever year seems more redundant than the last.

Ridiculous. The requirement should be:

1st grade, 6th grade, freshman year. And DONE.

Benjamin Franklin was an inventor, a writer, and a politician with only two years of school to back him up.

<33

Sarah said...

I had no idea about Ben Franklin. That's awesome. And I dunno, I took elementary school very seriously. Up until fourth or fifth grade. I'd cut off past then.

And hey, Green Day fan, remember you're talking to the girl that went to the '05 Chicago concert, accumulated four and a half posters, every CD ever, 3+ shirts (one coming with one of the CDs), skinny ties, and was Billie Joe for halloween (twice, actually), all by Freshman Year.

Not that it's anything to brag about hahaha

Sarah said...

Oh. And the Green Day purse/bag thing. Can't forget about that. And the GD notebook, still in its wrapping, on my desk. Oh lord

The Baker said...

Definitely something to brag about! You're one of a kind!

Sarah, wake up and smell the coffee, remember to stop and smell the flowers, and everything will turn out in the end.

Wow, cliche after cliche.

Sarah said...

News for you buddy, sometimes if things are okay in the end, it's because you put those things out of your life and make yourself not worry about it anymore. So really, okay is just an illusion, on occasion

EAT THAT, CLICHES

The Baker said...

Cliches eat you.


OUT.

Sarah said...

Oooooh, Cliches have a sexual preference

Nice

The Baker said...

Yes, they like astronaut-wannabes.

And green day fanatics.

J.D. said...

Sarah I can't tell you how disappointed I am that you referenced Green Day. Besides that though, good point. South Park sucks fast or slow.

Sarah said...

Jerome, I'm sorry I had to put you through that kind of reference. It was very inconsiderate of me to disregard the respectable music enthusiasts in this room.

But I also agree, Family Guy whoops South Park in the making-fun-of-pop-culture-in-cartoon-form aspect